Harveysburg, The Village & Freemasonry
researched and compiled by Grover W. Brunton,
May 15, 2000)
Charter granted A.L. 5858 - A.D 1858
Waynesville Lodge No. 163 F. & A.M.
There will be Refreshments and exhibits with activities for children & families ~~ prizes to win!! A Quilt will be raffled.
Thomas Montgomery Wales, known as T. M. Wales, was active politically in every enterprise of Harveysburg and was president of the Waynesville ~ Wilmington Pike Co. T. M. was a Freemason, a Temperance man and was a noted anti-slavery person. His home was a station on the Underground Railroad and he help to spirit many a fugitive slave to Canada and safety. In October of 1874, T. M. was elected on the Republican ticket to represent Warren Co. in the House of Representatives of the General Assembly of Ohio (See, Combination Atlas Map of Warren County, Ohio by L. H. Everts, 1875, p. 22½.)
The Valentine Nicholson farm was located between the Samuel Welch and the T. M. Wales properties at the foot of the "S" curve leading up to Harveysburg. See the 1856 Map of the Waynesville-Harveysburg area.
The early death of four of his children encouraged his deep belief in Spiritualism. At some point later in life Valentine was separated from his wife since he chose to live the celibate Shaker life for a while at Union Village, three miles west of Lebanon, Ohio. According to Clarkson Butterworth, the clerk of Miami Monthly Meeting (Membership of MMM in 1897):
Jane F. Nicholson (b. 1806.2.1-d.1906.9.9), Elizabeth Nicholson (b. 1833.12.10), Mary Ellen Nicholson (b. 1829-3-29). Address, 1217 Broadway, Indianapolis, Indiana. Jane was daughter of Isaac and Ruth (Welch) Wales, and named after her grandmother, Jane Finley, nee Irvin. The husband and father, Valentine Nicholson, long apart from his wife, is with the family, to be taken care of. He is not a member (of the Society of Friends). Elizabeth is an artist and Mary Ellen, a teacher of high grade. All bright people.
Mr. (Wilson) Harvey has resided nearly all his life in Harveysburg and vicinity, engaged principally in the honorable occupation of farming; has been very successful financially in his business life, is a man of excellent judgment and business capacity, and one who has ever held the esteem and confidence of the people of his community; has held nearly every office of the township and corporation in the gift of the people; has always taken a live interest in the subject of education, and in all moral and political progress of his community, and is, as were his ancestors before him, among the best citizens of Harveysburg.
This Greek Revival house was built around 1850. It has also been known as Ashley house.
Clara Smith Harvey (below)
All photographs owned by The Harveysburg Historical Society
Above: The "Harvey Bunch", after the death of Aaron Harvey
Below: Framed genealogy of the William Harvey family
hanging in the Black School Museum in Harveysburg.
The 1880 Federal Census lists Darwin, a retired farmer, aged 73, and Esther as living in Harveysburg (1880 Federal Census ; Census Place: Harveysburg, Warren, Ohio; Roll: T9_1075; Family History Film: 1255075; Page: 348.1000; Enumeration District: 73).
Also see, "Harris Queries", Posted by Betty Seprodi on http://22.214.171.124/search?q=cache:uejomrdrmSAJ:www.tbgen.com/bbs/harris.cgi%3Fread%3D6+%22Darwin+Harris%22&hl=en.
The Milton Hadley Home
Cross & South Streets
Mr. (Jonathan) Hadley followed the honest occupation of a farmer through life. When he came from North Carolina to Ohio he rode through on horseback, and after he married, located right in the woods, erected a cabin, and started out in life a poor pioneer, determined to make a farm and a home. He was a man of industry and great energy, and his efforts were crowned with success becoming possessed of a good competency. He furnished each of his children with 130 acres of land, and had a good sufficiency reserved for himself. Mr Hadley was a very retired, unassuming man, never holding or seeking office, but one of those firm, substantial men, prompt and exact in all his dealings, constituting one of the best of citizens in his community.
He (Jonathan) died in October 1878 in his 86th year; his wife (Rebecca Harvey Hadley) died in July 1876, aged 81 years.
Our subject (Milton Hadley) was raised to manhood in Clinton County; was married September 21, 1854, to Lucy M.,, daughter of John L. and Susan Smoot, natives of Virginia, but who emigrated to Perry Co., Ohio, thence to Warren County, and thence to Illinois, where they died. They were parents of seven children, who grew to maturity; three now survive:
Lucy M. (Hadley) was born in Virginia Aug. 21st, 1832. Mr. Hadley and wife have two children:
Mr. (Milton) Hadley resided in Clinton Co. till October 1858, when he bought a farm on Flat Rock Creek, in Warren County, where he resided till 1873, when be bought and located where he now lives and since resided, and where he has a fine farm with good improvements, constituting a pleasant home and residence. Mr. Hadley has been Trustee and Treasurer of his township. The general character of his father (Jonathan T. Hadley), as given above, is well represented in his son, and could the country be filled with such men, we should have much better officers, neighbors and citizens.
According to the 1900 Federal Census, Milton and Lucy were living in Harveysburg (1900 Federal Census; Census Place: Massie, Warren, Ohio; Roll: T623 1330; Page: 5A; Enumeration District: 144. Milton Hadley died on January 6th, 1912 in Lookeba, Oklahoma in the home of his son Isaac H. Hadley. Lucy died in Harveysburg, Ohio six years earlier. They also had their farm residence in Massie Township (1903 Centennial Atlas of Warren Co., Ohio, p. 24):
Lucy and Milton are both buried in Springfield Monthly Meeting's graveyard, Clinton County, Ohio (Cemetery Records of Clinton Co., Ohio, 1798-1999, compiled by the Clinton Co. Genealogy Society, 2000, P. 472):
Milton Hadley, d. Lookeba, Oklahoma, b. 2-13-1833 Clarksville, Ohio, d. 6-12-1912, Bur. Sec. 6, Lot 1 & 3, wife Lucy M. Hadley.
Lucy M. Hadley, d. Harveysburg, Ohio, b. 8-2-1832, d. 12-15-1906, Bur. Sec 6, Lot 1, nee Smoot, husband Milton Hadley (m. 9-21-1854).
Milton Hadley's mother, Rebecca Harvey Hadley (1795-1876) was the daughter of Isaac and Lydia Dicks Harvey and the sister of William Harvey who platted Harveysburg in 1829.
Milton and Lucy were members of Springfield Monthly Meeting of Friends on Todds Fork in Clinton County, Ohio. They moved their membership to Miami Monthly Meeting of Friends on 1874.1.17 (Encyclopedia of American Quaker Genealogy, Vol. V, pp. 63 & 568). This happened when the family moved to a farm near Harveysburg. They probably attended Harveysburg Preparative Meeting (Orthodox) located in Harveysburg.
Many of the children were disowned for marriages outside of unity (for marrying a non-Quaker). See, Encyclopedia of American Quaker Genealogy, Vol. V, Ohio compiled by William Wade Hinshaw, pp. 69-70.
Mr. (Levi S.) Lukens, after his marriage, located upon the place where he now lives and has since resided. This farm he purchased of Turner Welch; it consists of 105 acres of good land, most beautifully located, with good buildings and improvements, and is one of the prettiest locations in Massie Township. Mr. Lukens also owns other real estate to the amount of 283 acres, making in all 388 acres, mostly improved land. He is comparatively young, but is a man of great general information and an industrious active famer; takes a great interest in education and all general public improvements and is one of the progressive and useful men of Massie Township.
The front and back of the restored Black School, today a musuem.
Elizabeth Burgess Harvey, wife of Dr. Jesse Harvey, founded what has often been thought to be the first black school in Ohio around 1831 according to Beer’s 1882 History of Warren County. She is also mentioned in the book Ohio Builds A Nation by Samuel Hardin Stille (Chicago, Lower Salem, Ohio and New York City: The Arlendale Book House, 1939), p. 118.: