IN HARVEYSBURG, OHIO
It was restored by the Harveysburg Historical Society.
This photograph was taken in 1982.
The front and back of the restored Black School, today a musuem.
Elizabeth Burgess Harvey, wife of Dr. Jesse Harvey, founded what has often been thought to be the first black school in Ohio around 1831 according to Beer’s 1882 History of Warren County. She is also mentioned in the book Ohio Builds A Nation by Samuel Hardin Stille (Chicago, Lower Salem, Ohio and New York City: The Arlendale Book House, 1939), p. 118.:
The first free Negro school in Ohio devoted to the education of the unfortunate people was opened in Harveysburg, over thirty years before the Civil War. The school was opened and conducted by Elizabeth Harvey. She was the first woman to devote her life to the advancement and education of the Negro race. Her name should be entered on the roll of honor of those noble people who gave their lives to a great cause.